What is iCal?
iCal or iCalendar is a computer file format that store calendar related information like your upcoming meeting dates, your sons birthday, important reminders, etc. iCal is supported by a variety number of products including Google Calendar, Apple Calendar, Outlook.
The best usage of iCal is dynamic calendar merging as it allows your very own calendar data to be synced to a product that supports iCal and you can configure your own calendar for an event submission. For example, you may export all your upcoming meetings reminder that is stored on your phone to Outlook by passing the generated iCal file.
In the hospitality industry, iCal is also used as a way to sync booking calendar between Online Travel Agencies (e.g. Agoda, Booking.com, AirBnB etc). With the latest updates dated 15.May.2016, Softinn Extranet is now supporting iCal calendar import from Booking.com, AirBnB.com and any OTAs that support iCal. So far, it has been tested to works well with Booking.com and AirBnB.com; if you happen to experience any problem on specific OTA that we haven’t test, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are the steps needed to import your iCal calendar from Booking.com and AirBnB.com
The steps required can be divided into two main activities
A) Getting the iCal link.
B) Saving the iCal link in Softinn Extranet.
A) Getting the iCal link
The steps to get the iCal link varied between OTAs, below are the step-by-steps guides provided by each OTAs to copy the iCal link.
If you manage your calendar using Google Calendar, you may refer to the steps below to create a booking as well as exporting the iCal link.
1. By using Goggle Calendar, click on the icon then select “Setting” (Refer pic below)
For instance, Google calendar provides the iCal feature. If you have an event happening on that date such as a new guest checking in on the 8th of June, you may use that date to block a specific date in your Softinn Extranet calendar.
2. From General, click on “Calendars”. Once you are in the page, click on NAME under Calendar section. (Refer pic below)
3. Once you are in the calendar detail page, click “Share this Calendar” (Refer pic below)
4. Click on the checkbox to enable sharing iCal to public (Refer pic below)
5. Head to the ‘Calendar Details Page’ and click on the ICAL button to copy the link provided.
B) Saving the iCal link into Softinn Extranet
1. Head to Softinn Extranet > Calendar. From here, click on the ‘External Calendar (iCal)‘ button and paste the iCal link. (Refer to pic below)
2. The calendar will automatically import and update your room inventories.
**Above Article is Written by Softinn Solution**
Softinn Solutions Sdn. Bhd. is an emerging travel technology company that develops a cloud-based hotel reservation system for small and medium-sized hotels. Learn how we help hundreds of hotels better manage their business and increase sales.